Small Heart Birchbark Basket - 20061
Handmade basket made by the Dene people of Fort Liard, small community near the legendary Nahanni National Park Reserve in the southwest corner of the Northwest Territories.
- Artist: Rose Nande
- Community: Dene
- Height: 2" Width: 5"
- Materials: Quills, Birchbark
There are few steps into making a birchbark basket :
- Scrape, sand the bark, cut the pattern, and draw the design - 4 hours
- Sort and dye the quills - 3 hours
- Quill the design - 4 hours
- Gather and prepare (peeling, splitting, and trimming), spruce roots - 5 hours
- Basting the basket together - 2 hours
- Put the Basket together with the root - 2 hours
Total: 20.5 hours